Frozen potato soup is a type of soup that is made with potatoes, broth or stock, and various seasonings and vegetables. Frozen potato soup gets its name from the fact that it can be frozen and stored for later use.
Potatoes, Onions, Celery, Carrots, Chicken or vegetable broth, Garlic powder, Dried thyme, Salt, Black pepper, Milk or cream, Velveeta cheese
Preparation time: 15-20 minutes
Cooking time: 30-45 minutes
Detailed Ingredients and Quantity
|4 cups peeled and diced potatoes
|1 cup diced onions
|1 cup diced
|Chicken or vegetable broth
|Milk or cream
|8 oz Velveeta cheese, cubed
Steps to prepare sweet potato soup
- The chopped potatoes, onions, celery, carrots, broth, garlic powder, thyme, salt, and black pepper should all be combined in a big saucepan or Dutch oven.
- Bring the mixture to a boil over medium-high heat, then reduce the heat and let it simmer for about 15-20 minutes, or until the vegetables are tender.
- Use an immersion blender or a regular blender to purée the soup until it is smooth after turning off the heat in the saucepan.
- After the soup is cooked thoroughly, add the milk or cream and Velveeta cheese to the pot and stir until the cheese is melted.
- Let the soup cool to room temperature, then ladle it into freezer-safe containers, leaving about an inch of headspace at the top.
- After assigning the containers a name and a date, freeze them for up to three months..
- To reheat the frozen potato soup, thaw it overnight in the refrigerator. Thereafter, add it to a pot and heat it thoroughly by stirring occasionally over medium heat.
Serving size: 1 cup (240 ml)
Total Fat: 9g
- Saturated Fat: 5g
- Trans Fat: 0g
Total Carbohydrates: 22g
Dietary Fiber: 2g
Total Sugars: 5g
- Crusty bread: Serve the soup with warm, crusty bread, like baguette or sourdough, so that guests can dip and sop it up.
- Salad: Pair the soup with a simple salad made with fresh greens, vegetables, and a light vinaigrette for a balanced meal.
- Toppings: Top the soup with shredded cheddar cheese, crispy bacon bits, chives, or croutons for added flavor and texture.
- Grilled cheese: For a hearty and filling supper, prepare a traditional grilled cheese sandwich using your favorite cheese and bread.
- Roasted vegetables: Roast some seasonal vegetables, such as Brussels sprouts, carrots, or cauliflower, and serve them as a side dish with the soup.
- Cornbread: Serve the soup with sweet and savory cornbread for a hearty and satisfying meal.
- Crackers: Serve the soup with some crackers or crispy breadsticks for added crunch and texture.
Variations (similar kinds of soups with the same ingredients)
- Creamy Potato and Onion Casserole: Thinly slice potatoes and onions and layer them in a baking dish with salt, pepper, and minced garlic. Pour over a mixture of chicken broth and heavy cream and bake in the oven until the potatoes are tender and the top is golden brown.
- Garlic Mashed Potatoes: Boil peeled and chopped potatoes in chicken broth until tender. Drain the liquid and mash the potatoes with heavy cream, minced garlic, salt, and pepper until smooth.
- Creamy Potato and Bacon Chowder: Cook diced bacon in a pot until crispy. Remove the bacon and sauté diced onions and minced garlic in the bacon fat until soft. When the potatoes are ready, add the seasonings, chicken broth, and diced potatoes. Heat thoroughly after pouring heavy cream and fried bacon.
- Potato and Cheese Gratin: Thinly slice potatoes and layer them in a baking dish with salt, pepper, and minced garlic. Pour over a mixture of chicken broth and heavy cream and top with shredded cheese. Bake in the oven until the cheese is melted and bubbly and the potatoes are baked through.
- Potato hash: To make potato hash, cube the potatoes and sauté them with bell peppers, onions, and garlic. Continue serving eggs for brunch or breakfast.
- Potato Pancakes: Mix grated potatoes with flour, eggs, and herbs to make a batter. Fry the batter in a pan until crispy and golden. Serve with sour cream or applesauce.
- Potato Salad: Dice the potatoes and mix them with mayonnaise, diced onions, celery, and chopped pickles. Season with salt, pepper, and paprika to taste.
- Shepherd’s Pie: Brown ground beef or lamb with diced onions, garlic, and carrots. Mash potatoes on top of the meat mixture, and bake until bubbling and brown.
- Potato and Vegetable Soup: Add diced potatoes to a pot with diced carrots, celery, onions, and garlic. Cover with vegetable or chicken broth and simmer until the vegetables are tender. Season with herbs and spices to taste.