Houlihan’s Potato Soup is a popular dish served at Houlihan’s restaurants. It is a comfort food favorite and is often served as an appetizer or as part of a larger meal.
Potatoes, Onion, Ccelery, Chicken stock, Cream, All-purpose flour, Butter, Salt and pepper, Parsley
Preparation time: 15-20 minutes
Cooking time: 30-40 minutes
Detailed Ingredients and Quantity
|6 cups peeled and cubed potatoes
|1/2 cup diced onion
|1/2 cup diced celery
|2 cups heavy cream
|1/4 cup unsalted butter
|Salt and pepper
|Chopped parsley for garnish
Steps to prepare sweet potato soup
- In a large pot, add the potatoes, onions, celery, and chicken stock. Reduce the heat to medium-low after the mixture has reached a boil. When potatoes are soft to the touch, simmer for 15-20 minutes.
- In a separate saucepan set over medium heat, melt the butter.
- Add the flour and whisk until smooth. Cook for 2-3 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Add the heavy cream gradually while continuing to whisk until smooth. Cook for another 2 to 3 minutes, or until the mixture thickens.
- Add the cream mixture to the pot with the potatoes and stir well to combine. To taste, add salt and pepper to the food.
- Blend the soup until it is completely smooth.
- Serve hot, garnished with chopped parsley if preferred.
- Carbohydrates: 20-25 g.
- Fiber: 2-4 g.
- Protein: 3-8 g.
- Fat: 10-20 g.
- Vitamins and minerals: include vitamin C, potassium, vitamin B6, and iron.
- Crusty Bread: Serve the soup with a warm dinner roll or a slice of crusty bread. The bread can be used to dip into the soup or to sop up any remaining broth.
- Salad: Pair the soup with a light, refreshing salad. A basic side salad consisting of mixed greens and dressed with vinaigrette might be a wonderful complement to the nutty, creamy soup.
- Cheese and Croutons: Sprinkle some shredded cheese and croutons on top of the soup for added flavor and texture. The cheese can be melted on top of the soup under a broiler for a delicious crust.
- Grilled Cheese Sandwich: Serve the soup with a classic grilled cheese sandwich. The combination of melted cheese and warm soup is comforting and satisfying.
- Fresh Herbs: Garnish the soup with fresh herbs, such as chopped parsley or chives, for added color and flavor.
- Bacon Bits: Sprinkle some crispy bacon bits on top of the soup for a salty and smoky flavor.
- Roasted Vegetables: Serve the soup with a side of roasted vegetables, such as asparagus or Brussels sprouts, for a balanced and nutritious meal.
Variations (similar kinds of soups with the same ingredients)
- Potato Casserole: Sliced potatoes can be layered with onions, cheese, and a creamy sauce to make a hearty and delicious potato casserole.
- Roasted Potatoes: Cut potatoes into bite-sized pieces, toss with olive oil and your favorite seasonings, and roast in the oven for a crispy and flavorful side dish.
- Potato Salad: Boil diced potatoes until tender, then toss with a dressing made from mayonnaise, mustard, and vinegar, along with diced celery and onions for a classic potato salad.
- Celery and Onion Soup: Sauté diced celery and onions in butter, then simmer with chicken or vegetable broth until tender for a comforting and flavorful soup.
- Mashed Potatoes: Boil potatoes until tender, then mash with butter, milk, and salt for a classic side dish.
- Vegetable Frittata: Sauté onions, celery, and potatoes in a skillet, then pour in beaten eggs and bake for a delicious and filling breakfast or brunch.
- Potato and Onion Gratin: Layer thinly sliced potatoes and onions in a baking dish, pour over a mixture of cream and grated cheese, then bake until bubbly and golden brown.