Olive Garden Potato Soup is a classic soup recipe that is creamy, flavorful, and hearty. It is made with simple ingredients and can be easily prepared at home. It is a well-liked menu dish at the chain of Olive Garden eateries and is commonly presented as an appetizer or as part of a lunch or dinner combo.
Potatoes, onion, garlic, chicken broth, cream, flour, butter, black pepper, parsley.
Preparation time: 20 minutes
Cooking time: 30-40 minutes
Detailed Ingredients and Quantity
|Potato||4-5 large russet potatoes, peeled and cubed|
|Onion||1 medium onion, diced|
|Garlic||2 garlic cloves, minced|
|Chicken broth||4 cups|
|Heavy cream||1 cup|
|All-purpose flour||1/4 cup|
|Unsalted butter||1/4 cup|
|Salt and black pepper||To taste|
|Parsley (optional)||1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley (optional)|
Steps to prepare sweet potato soup
- Melt the butter over medium heat in a large pot, then add the diced onion and minced garlic, and sauté for 3-4 minutes until the onion becomes translucent.
- Add the cubed potatoes and chicken broth to the pot, and bring to a boil. Keep it simmer for 15-20 minutes until the potatoes become tender.
- Whisk together the heavy cream and flour until smooth, then add this mixture to the pot, and mix well.
- Increase the heat and bring the soup to a boil, cook until the soup thickens to your desired consistency. To prevent sticking, stir occasionally.
- The soup is seasoned with salt and black pepper to taste, and if desired, with chopped fresh parsley can be used to garnish.
One serving (1 cup) of Olive Garden Potato Soup contains approximately:
- 270 calories
- 18g fat
- 22g carbohydrates
- 5g protein
- 5g sugar
- 45mg cholesterol
- 570mg sodium
Olive Garden Potato Soup is best served hot, garnished with chopped fresh parsley or croutons. It can be enjoyed as a main course or as a side dish with your favorite bread or salad.
Variations (similar kinds of soups with the same ingredients)
- Loaded Baked Potato Casserole: Combine diced potatoes, cooked and crumbled bacon, chopped onions, garlic, chicken broth, and heavy cream in a casserole dish. Bake to get tender potatoes, and a bubbly mixture. Shredded cheddar cheese are topped and again baked until melted and golden brown.
- Creamy Garlic Mashed Potatoes: Boil potatoes are mashed with heavy cream, chicken broth, and minced garlic. Finish by seasoning with salt and pepper to taste before serving.
- Bacon-Wrapped Chicken Breasts: Chicken breasts are to be seasoned with salt and pepper, then wrap each piece with bacon, and bake in the oven until cooked through. Along with roasted potatoes seasoned with garlic and onion, the dish is served.
- Creamy Onion Dip: Mix softened cream cheese, sour cream, chopped onions, minced garlic, and crumbled bacon in a bowl. Serve with potato chips or vegetable crudites.
- Creamy Potato Salad: Boil diced potatoes until tender, then mix with chopped onions, minced garlic, crumbled bacon, and a dressing made from sour cream, mayonnaise, and chicken broth. Chill in the fridge before serving.
- Bacon and Potato Breakfast Hash: Cook diced potatoes in a skillet until golden brown, then add chopped onions and minced garlic. When the onions are translucent, add cooked and crumbled bacon to the pan and cook until crispy. Serve with fried eggs and toast.