Pioneer Woman Potato Soup is a recipe created by Ree Drummond, also known as “The Pioneer Woman” , a popular food blogger and TV personality. The soup is a hearty and comforting dish made with potatoes, bacon, onions, celery, and carrots, along with chicken broth, milk, and cream.
Potatoes. Bacon, onion, celery, carrot, chicken broth, milk, cream, salt, black pepper, chives, or parsley.
Preparation time: 20-30 minutes
Cooking time: 30-45 minutes
Detailed Ingredients and Quantity
|Potatoes||6 medium (about 2 pounds or 900 grams)|
|Bacon||8 slices (about 8 ounces or 225 grams)|
|Onion||1 large (about 1 cup or 150 grams)|
|Celery||2 stalks (about 1 cup or 100 grams)|
|Carrots||2 medium (about 1 cup or 100 grams)|
|Chicken broth||6 cups (about 1.5 liters)|
|Milk||1 cup (about 240 ml)|
|Heavy cream||1 cup (about 240 ml)|
|Salt||1 teaspoon (about 5 grams)|
|Black pepper||1/2 teaspoon (about 2 grams)|
|Chives or parsley||For garnish (optional)|
Steps to prepare sweet potato soup
- Cook the bacon over medium heat until crispy in a large pot. Then leaving the bacon grease in the pot remove the bacon with a slotted spoon and set aside.
- Diced onion and minced garlic are then cooked until the onion becomes soft and translucent.
- Chicken broth and chopped potatoes are added together. Season with salt and black pepper to taste. Bring it to a boil, then reduce the heat and let it simmer for about 20-25 minutes or until the potatoes are tender.
- Then blend to puree the soup until smooth.
- Take the pureed soup to the pot and stir in the heavy cream. Add more salt and black pepper to taste if needed again.
- Shredded cheddar cheese is added and stirred until melted.
- Finally, serve the soup in bowls and sprinkle the chopped bacon and sliced green onions on top and enjoy the hot soup.
Based on a standard serving size of one cup (240 ml) of soup nutrient availability is as follows:
- Calories: 290
- Protein: 8 g
- Fat: 17 g
- Carbohydrates: 25 g
- Fiber: 3 g
- Sugar: 5 g
- Sodium: 940 mg
- Potassium: 680 mg
- Vitamin A: 60% of the RDI (Recommended Daily Intake)
- Vitamin C: 20% of the RDI
- Calcium: 15% of the RDI
- Iron: 8% of the RDI
- As a main course, accompanied by crusty bread or crackers.
- As a starter or appetizer, in smaller portions, the soup can be served.
- The soup can be garnished with chopped chives or parsley, and you can sprinkle some grated cheese on top for extra flavor.
Variations (similar kinds of soups with the same ingredients)
- Loaded Baked Potato Soup: This soup is made with baked potatoes, bacon, cheese, and sour cream, and it’s topped with chives and croutons.
- Creamy Vegetable Soup: Made with potatoes, carrots, celery, onions, and broccoli, it’s thickened with cream and cheese.
- Clam Chowder: With potatoes, bacon, onions, celery, clams, and cream this soup is made, and it’s flavored with herbs and spices.