Cheese potato soup is a warm and comforting soup, typically seasoned with salt and pepper, and sometimes garnished with fresh herbs such as chives or parsley.
Potatoes, cheese, onion, garlic, vegetable or chicken broth, cream, salt and pepper, parsley.
Preparation time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 30-40 minutes
Detailed Ingredients and Quantity
|4 large sized
|Vegetable or chicken broth
|Shredded cheddar cheese
|Salt and pepper
|Fresh chives or parsley
Steps to prepare sweet potato soup
- In a large pot or Dutch oven, sauté onion and garlic until translucent.
- Then potatoes and broth are added and brought to a boil.
- The soup is cooked for about 20-25 minutes in medium- low flame until the potatoes are tender, which is then blended until smooth.
- Remaining ingredients like heavy cream, cheese, salt, and pepper are added and stir until the cheese is melted and is heated through.
- The soup is garnished with fresh chives or parsley and served hot.
One serving of this soup (1 cup) contains approximately-
- 400 calories
- 25g of fat
- 25g of carbohydrates
- 15g of protein
- It is also high in Vitamin C and Vitamin A, and provides a good amount of calcium and iron.
- Bread Bowl: Hollow out a sourdough bread bowl and fill it with the soup. The soaked bread adds extra texture and flavor.
- Croutons: Top the soup with homemade or store-bought croutons for extra crunch.
- Bacon Bits: Sprinkle bacon bits on top of the soup for added smoky flavor.
- Green Onions: The soup can be garnished with thinly sliced green onions for a fresh pop of color and flavor.
- Grilled Cheese Sandwich: The soup pairs well with a grilled cheese sandwich on the side for a classic comfort food combination.
- Salad: Serve the soup with a side green salad with vinaigrette dressing for a lighter and more balanced meal.
Variations (similar kinds of soups with the same ingredients)
- Potato Gratin: Bake sliced potatoes with heavy cream and shredded cheese until the potatoes are tender and the top is golden brown.
- Cheesy Mashed Potatoes: Mash boiled potatoes with butter, heavy cream, and shredded cheese. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Loaded Baked Potatoes: Bake potatoes in the oven until tender, then top with cheese, bacon bits, sour cream, and chives.
- Creamy Broccoli Soup: Use the same base recipe as the potato cheese soup, but replace the potatoes with broccoli florets. Add some nutmeg and lemon juice for extra flavor.